Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I can be guilt tripped all the way to the gym, apparently

For the last couple of weeks I've been going to the gym. (Again. I've started going, again.) The front desk clerk, who usually just says hello & goodbye has started clocking my time.


Ohh, I haven't seen you in a few days...

I'll see you tomorrow...right?

Why do you look so sleepy?

"DUDE. It's 5AM. This is how everybody should look at 5AM."

And I started wondering why this guy is giving me the business? I don't remember signing up for a trainer, or a make-sure-undercovermama-gets-her-ass-to-the-gym-guy. And yet, there he is. Mocking me with his extra cheerful "good morning" and his "see you tomorrow" I mean, REALLY?

But here's the thing. I went to the gym Friday. And then I skipped Saturday, because well... #worldcup. And Sunday, I was too busy getting ready for the 4th of July bash at my house. Monday, I just plain didn't want to get out of bed. So I didn't. YESTERDAY, though... yesterday, I went to the gym. I got the ridiculously cheerful good morning, then I got THE LOOK. You know the one. The one that says I KNOW YOU HAVEN'T BEEN HERE ALL WEEKEND AND SHAME ON YOU.

And do you know that sonofabitch worked? I felt GUILTY! So guilty that this morning, when The Man snuggled me and asked for 10 more minutes, I said, No, I have to go to the gym. GAH! And I did. And he was there all cheerful and shit, telling me to have a great workout (which I did, but still. THE MOCKING, PEOPLE, THE MOCKING) As, I was leaving he smirks at me and says "I'll see you tomorrow, RIGHT?"

Yeah, yeah, you'll see me tomorrow. Jerk.

5 comments:

mel said...

OMG, I think I fell in love with you when you said "giving me the business". I say that all the time and people's response? *crickets*

I need this guy in my life if he can get my ass to feel guilty enough to wake up at 5am. Maybe he can be my long distance trainer lol.

Gilsner said...

I totally get this. I'll pretty much only do something when someone else is counting on me (ie. makes me feel guilty if I don't). This applies to dieting, working out, laundry, cleaning, and pretty much everything in between. I'm cool like that ;)

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Oh dear. I don't know what I'd do if someone was mocking me that much. Either go ballistic or find a new gym.

Ah, who am I kidding? I don't go to the gym. So this hypothetical situation is null and void anyway...

Balanced Melting Pot said...

I think people at the gym are good for this type of behavior. I once almost got guilt tripped into a $1,800 personal training package because he made an analogy to how much I spent on my car, masters degree, etc. Shameless!

Anonymous Witch said...

That's hilarious. I am always intimidated by the super perky, tan, crazed eyeballed chicks that hang out at my gym. I haven't been in like a year. I went the other day to get a new card so I could go to the one by my house and the chick was all "WOW You don't use your membership much!" And I am like.."I know, right, thank goodness it's only $20 a month!"
Hee hee. I am going to attempt the 5a.m. wakeups..but in the meantime, I'll keep walking circles 'round the neighborhood at night.