Sunday, June 28, 2009

It's a small, small world

I really don't mind sharing my whole life stories on the internet. I have lots to say and no real outlets to say it. So, really, the internet is PERFECT for that.

IRL, however, I am a lot more reserved. I don't volunteer information unless asked. Also, I have made a habit of dodging a speech class that I KNOW I need to graduate. (Damn you, public speaking class. Why do you have to be mandatory?!)

Anyways, I finally decided to bite the bullet and take the stupid class. 1) I really don't have that many classes before I graduate, 2) if I take it in the summer it's accelerated, so it's like ripping off a band-aid. Painful, but not long and drawn out and 3) I'm taking it at the local Junior College (because, let's face it, it's CHEAPER).

I worried and worried over this class. Not because I'm not articulate. CLEARLY, I am (you can't see it, but just imagine my sarcastic "sure I am" face here). But because I hate, HATE speaking in public. I get nervous, my voice wobbles and also? I talk with my hands, so no matter how nervous I am, I look even MORE nervous because of that.

I finally got over myself though. I was like, I don't even know these people...short of throwing up in front of the class, there's not really that much to be worried about because I will never see these people again.

...Yeah. Did you hear me tempting fate? I didn't. But apparently, just the thought was enough for Fate to slap me in the face. I got through my first speech, (about MOVIES, for God's sake...I know all about movies!) said something completely random because I was in no way prepared to stand up in front of 32 people and ramble on for 2 minutes. Whatever. I felt good about doing it without too much damage to my psyche.

Friday at work, I'm leaving Rounds (where I get to hear about each patient and every single one of their issues, medical, personal and anything worth gossiping about), the student shadowing one of the RN's stops me...
Aren't you taking Speech 1 @ random JC?
Me: Yes, I am.
Oh, me too. I thought you looked familiar...So I guess I'll see you on Monday here & in class.
Me: AWESOME.

So here's hoping that I don't party too hard and go to class drunk off my ass and really throw up in the middle of giving a speech, or say/do something completely ridiculous (wish me luck with THAT one, I'm sure going to need it), because now I'm going to be worried that my random assholery will be reported back to my co-workers.

What are the chances that I would take a random class at night and be enrolled a co-worker that is ONLY HERE FOR THE SUMMER? I suppose they're a lot higher than you'd think.

Fuck.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

In my public speaking class we had to try to convince the class of something. I chose to convince them that they were ignorant. Yes, I did say that. WTF was I thinking? I had a map of the western part of the United States, west of the Mississippi. (Went to college in RI, so I wanted the unfamiliar). No one could name all of the states. I then put an overlay w/ the state capitals on it for a "cheat sheet". They still didn't know the states. I didn't convince them that they were ignorant, but I did succeed in convincing them that I was a snob. :O)

wendy said...

This is so funny to me! :) I never liked speaking in public but now, I'm a teacher and I speak in front of people ALL the time. Who knew?! I hated public speaking class, too, and always did far better on the speeches I didn't prepare! D'oh!

Kori said...

Or you could stun him/her with your absolute brilliance. think of it that way. Or bribe person with food and or liquor to keep your, um, flub-ups silent.

Swistle said...

HATE public speaking---and I get docked because I DON'T move my hands.

I chose to persuade my class that women's weight issues were men's fault. Yeah. Got a lot of dates from that class, as you can imagine.

Anonymous said...

Well what would you have done if she said something like: "I love your shoes hey this girl's blog has those shoes and she writes like you talk heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

PS you will do fine in your class just talk about shoes and FF
Smiles

Anonymous said...

4 u
http://www.elftea.com/2009/06/namine-at-clutter-box-has-given-me-this.html

Shania said...

No help here. Public speaking was my favorite class. Captive audience that had to listen to me ramble on about whatever I wanted? Sheer bliss.

Optimistic Pessimist said...

Good luck with your class. I had public speaking a few years ago. I would not have been happy if there was a co-worker in the class with me.

There was one guy in my class who had a MAJOR fear of public speaking. He would shake and stutter. It was horrible, but easier to speak after him.

Laural Out Loud said...

I HATED my public speaking class. I felt like throwing up every time I had to stand at the front of the class, and that was without a hangover. In just a few short months you'll have this all behind you (though hopefully with a few more funny stories to throw our way!).